Saturday, August 31, 2019

Indianapolis Clowns...........the circus and baseball.........Capt Marvel...............me.................my soul is female..........


He started play as a 6 feet (180 cm), 180 pounds (82 kg), shortstop,[15] and earned $200 per month.[16] As a result of his standout play with the Indianapolis Clowns, Aaron received two offers from MLB teams via telegram, one from the New York Giants and the other from the Boston Braves. Years later, Aaron remembered:
I had the Giants' contract in my hand. But the Braves offered fifty dollars a month more. That's the only thing that kept Willie Mays and me from being teammates – fifty dollars.[17]
While with the Clowns he experienced some overt racism. His team was in Washington, D.C.
We had breakfast while we were waiting for the rain to stop, and I can still envision sitting with the Clowns in a restaurant behind Griffith Stadium and hearing them break all the plates in the kitchen after we finished eating. What a horrible sound. Even as a kid, the irony of it hit me: here we were in the capital in the land of freedom and equality, and they had to destroy the plates that had touched the forks that had been in the mouths of black men. If dogs had eaten off those plates, they'd have washed them.[18]

No comments:

Post a Comment