The first carillon at the Arlington National Cemetery was installed by Amvets in 1949 and dedicated by president Harry S. Truman.  Presumably the Netherlands Carillon superseded the original carillon, though its fate is unknown.
The total weight of the bells is 28 metric tons, the largest being 5,800 kg. The bells are constructed of a bronze alloy of approximately four-fifths copper and one-fifth tin. Each bell carries an emblem signifying a group within Dutch society. The smallest bells represent the youth of the Netherlands. The verses cast on the bells were composed by the Dutch poet, Ben van Eysselsteijn.
Thousands of tulips are planted on the surrounding grounds. Nearby is the United States Marine Corps War Memorial. The carillon is administered as part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway complex in Arlington Ridge Park. The carillon itself symbolizes the friendship between the people of the Netherlands and those of the United States, a friendship characterized by a common allegiance to the principles of freedom, justice, and democracy which has weathered temporary differences.
The Netherlands Carillon plays Westminster Chimes on the hour and plays American patriotic music twice daily. Special songs are played on May 5 (Dutch Liberation Day), July 4 (U.S. Independence Day), September 2 (V-J Day), and Thanksgiving Day. Concerts and recitals are performed on the carillon throughout the summer.