Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Harry Carson at 53........LT at 56....a golden ratio and full circle at once.....that WAS a good team...broke my heart b/c they beat my beloved 49ers......I was born out there....Dave and I visited our dad .....in Half Moon Bay......he pointed out Candlestick Park.................


“I would say I changed appreciably,” Parcells said. “I think I got back to being really the way I am. I think in ’83 I was trying to be a head coach a little bit. It wasn’t going too well and the team had some problems. I recognized what they were and took some action. We changed a lot of players and some very, very key players. Some very key veterans that had been around and we made some moves and we got a lot younger.”
Parcells needed to change the attitude of the team.
“And I needed to change mine,” he said. “So that’s basically what we did. We got our offseason program going. We went a little bit more business-like.”
“I think what happened is Bill tried to treat the players he inherited as a head coach like men and it didn’t necessarily go over very well,” Carson said. “And then he had to basically usher out some people and he brought new people in to replace those people who didn’t necessarily have the best work ethic or took shortcuts. I understood the pressure that he was under when we went 3-12-1 and George Young was looking at Howard Schnellenberger and whoever else as a possible successor. People were speculating Bill was going to be one and done. I remember him saying something to the effect of, ‘I’ve tried to do it your way and from now on I’m going to do this thing my way.’ He was much different in 1984 than he was in ’83.”

No comments:

Post a Comment