Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Harry Carson's words are very profound.......I remember what Richard Williams said in how he trained Venus and Serena......that although he was raising them in like the 1980s he treated them with an attitude of the 1930s or so....being mature and accountable and being focused on doing a good job.......an adult is responsible....treating them like men....like pros.....taking pride in your work.....it might sound trite..but it is actually profound........


“I think what happened is Bill tried to treat the players he inherited as a head coach like men and it didn’t necessarily go over very well,” Carson said. “And then he had to basically usher out some people and he brought new people in to replace those people who didn’t necessarily have the best work ethic or took shortcuts. I understood the pressure that he was under when we went 3-12-1 and George Young was looking at Howard Schnellenberger and whoever else as a possible successor. People were speculating Bill was going to be one and done. I remember him saying something to the effect of, ‘I’ve tried to do it your way and from now on I’m going to do this thing my way.’ He was much different in 1984 than he was in ’83.”

No comments:

Post a Comment